Thursday, February 7, 2008

Baby Room Makeover

This weekend we'll finally be tackling the transformation of the office to the nursery. Step one: moving all the office furniture into the basement. Step two: painting the room from "cool reflection" green to "cool hue" blue. Hopefully by the end of the weekend, both steps will be accomplished. (Brian is in charge of both, with a little heavy-lifting assistance from my dad. No paint fumes or furniture lifting for the baby and I.)

Next Friday, we're planning to take advantage of a Babies R'Us coupon and order the crib and changing table/dresser combo. I'm really excited because the furniture is very sturdy and will transform to a toddler bed and later to a full-size bed as the baby grows. It has also received the highest reviews from the Babies R'Us site with an average of five stars. (We're finding that we're relying a lot on other parents' reviews of baby items to make sure we're getting the best quality for our little guy... a number of times, the item we would have selected hasn't received good marks, so it has been nice to be able to see what other parents have to say about the effectiveness and durability of certain products before we register for them.)

After we buy the furniture, we'll have the fun of decorating the walls. We purchased block letters spelling out the baby's name that we'll be putting above the crib, and we have a shelf for knickknacks to hang. I also have a cute piece of fabric with a Suzy's Zoo baby duck in a mud puddle that I'm planning to turn into a wall hanging to match the crib bedding and shade.

As the room comes together, I'm sure we'll be posting pictures of our progress. With only sixteen more weeks until my due date, the need to have the nursery ready is becoming a little more urgent. Or maybe I'm just finally succumbing to those nesting instincts that pregnant women supposedly get.

No comments: