Saturday, March 12, 2011

Penises and Vaginas and Pink Birthday Cakes

Yesterday Jack was talking about his birthday (he thinks he should have a birthday every month), so I asked him what kind of cake he wanted for his birthday. He said he wanted a pink cake. I love that he is still so innocent about "boy" things and "girl" things that he joyfully asks for a pink cake for his birthday.

In other areas of gender distinctions, Jack has recently started noticing penises. When Brian gets out of the shower in the morning, Jack points and says, "Daddy has a penis." When Brian agrees, Jack then launches into the list of other people he knows who have penises... "Daddy has a penis and I have a penis and Ben has a penis and Mommy has a penis..." Yep, he's been saying that I have a penis. So in an effort to clarify the difference between boys and girls, Brian explained that Mommy doesn't have a penis, she has a vagina. Now Jack says, "Daddy has a penis and I have a penis and Ben has a penis and Mommy has a 'gina." Pretty cute, but we're hoping he doesn't repeat it in public too often.

1 comment:

etc. said...

Funny. M couldn't say vagina either and called it her china! :-) Somehow that seemed appropriate.