Today Ben and I went to our bi-monthly mom and baby gathering at the birth center. I am so grateful to have such a wonderful group of women to laugh and talk with. As a [temporary] stay-at-home mom, I don't see a lot of adults during the day, and I look forward to Fridays at the birth center to share stories, ask questions, and be with other people who understand what my days are like.
When Jack was a baby, I had my Mommy and Me yoga class to fill the same role, and I'm looking forward to attending that, too, but I had to wait until my incision was healed, so the birth center gatherings are my lifeline. We talk about baby-wearing, co-sleeping, breastfeeding, going back to work, etc. and it's so nice to have a group of women who share the same values that I do: who don't gasp at the notion of sleeping with a baby and who can laugh about breastfeeding in public.
And this is yet another reason why I love the birth center: they realize that mothers need support beyond the moment of birth. I wish all moms had access to a group like this -- I think we'd see a lot less stress, confusion and isolation among women if they did.
No comments:
Post a Comment