Wednesday, December 24, 2008

Merry Christmas!

It's Christmas Eve morning and I'm up early with a cold, but in spite of my inevitable illness, I feel remarkably blessed this year.

This year, the Christmas story seems even more precious and beautiful and courageous. This year, the twinkle lights seem brighter and Santa seems more real. The cookies taste better, the presents seem less necessary, and the spirit of giving to those less fortunate is more abundant.

This year, I can see Christmas through Jack's eyes and ignore what is less important (decorations, presents, over-scheduled craziness) and focus on what is most essential: spending time with family, reliving old traditions and introducing new ones, providing for those in need, and celebrating Jesus's birth.

Today we will spend the afternoon with my parents and grandma before heading to the childrens' Mass in the evening. I look forward to Christmas mass every year because our amazing choir always outdoes themselves and the church is magically transformed (through a lot of hard work from volunteers) from its stark Advent appearance to joyous Christmas decorations. Once we get home, we'll read Charlie Brown's Christmas to Jack in his little footie sleepers and put him to bed. In the morning, he'll have his first visit from Santa -- a Very Hungry Caterpillar ornament, a stuffed kitty toy, a set of plastic nesting cups, and a bath-time book that can go in the water. Then, we'll pack up the car and head to Ohio for Brian's family Christmas, where Jack will get to blow out the "Happy Birthday, Jesus" cake and be cuddled by 20 different family members.

I hope that Jack's first Christmas is filled with love and joy and, if he's lucky, those stubborn two front teeth that have been giving him lots of trouble the past few days. I know that it will be one of the most precious Christmases Brian and I have ever celebrated.

God bless us, every one.

No comments: