Saturday, September 4, 2010

Music Man

Jack has always loved music, but now that he's speaking full sentences, he has become even more so. He memorizes so many songs and nursery rhymes, as well as popular hits that we play in the car, much to our amusement.

For example, tonight at dinner he suddenly burst into his own rendition of Lady Gaga's "Bad Romance". "Rah-rah-ah-ha-ha. Mama, oh-la-lah..." He also sings portions of "Run Joey Run", "Jump", and "Good Morning Baltimore" ("Oh, oh, oh, woke up today feeling the way I always do...")

As for more traditional [and child-appropriate] songs, he can sing his ABCs with amazing clarity at the beginning and end. He just gets a little muddled around the middle, so Brian and I have started slowing down our version to really highlight L-M-N-O-P. Here's Jack's version, which is amazingly consistent: "A-B-C-D-E-F-J! H-I-kay-kay-ah-go-ah-go-P! Q-R-S-T-U-B! W-X-Y-and-Z! Now I know my ABCs, next time won't you sing with MEEEEEEEEEE?" He typically shouts the last portion of the song at the top of his lungs.

Other song favorites are "'Ittle Spider" (The Itsy Bitsy Spider) and "Twinklelittlestar" and "Ring Around Rosie", which he sings fairly accurately and incorporates hand gestures. He knows about half the words to most nursery rhymes and can ask for them by name: "Humpy-Dumpy", "Sheep" (Baa-Baa Black Sheep), "Mary Had a [Little] Lamb", "Fetch a Pail of Water" (Jack and Jill), "Puddy Cat Mouse" (Pussy Cat, Pussy Cat), "Hickory [Dickory] Dock", "[I Had a LIttle] Nut Tree", and "Three Blind Mice".

Last night, he even started singing along to the Song of the Soul, a sweet blessing that my yogis sing at the end of prenatal yoga and that I sing to Jack at bedtime. I shouldn't be surprised that he knows it because he was hearing it even in the womb, but it was really cute to hear him singing along from his pillow.

As one of the choir members at church pointed out, after seeing Jack hold his own hymnal, "He has music in his soul."

No comments: