Relaxin is an amazing hormone that peaks during pregnancy. It is what allows me put my forehead on the floor during pigeon pose at yoga and my belly on the floor when stretching my legs, something I wouldn't normally be able to do. I love the increased flexibility, and I also love Relaxin's intended effect: to soften my pelvic joints so that little Ben can squeeze out more easily during delivery. The softer the better, I say.
I'm not so crazy, however, about the side effects of Relaxin. Because it can't just soften the pelvic joints, it relaxes all of my joints, which has caused a lot of discomfort during this pregnancy. The increased Relaxin is what allowed my rib to pop out of joint this summer from something as simple as a stumble on the street. And what turned a simple trip to the bathroom at 3 a.m. into an ordeal last night. As I was sitting down, I suddenly felt my hip pop and then a searing pain in my shoulder blade. This morning, my entire shoulder was throbbing. So, luckily, my chiropractor was open this morning and she adjusted the vertebrae that were out of joint, but the muscles around my shoulder blade are still ridiculously tender. I'm starting to wonder if maybe my joints are too loose if I can't walk down the street or get up to go to the bathroom without causing myself injury! Hopefully, this will be the last issue I have, but I'm going to keep my fingers crossed just in case.
1 comment:
When I was pregnant I went to the chiropractor and masseuse every other week just to keep aligned.
Post a Comment