Yesterday as I was reading a board book to Jackson ("The Very Hungry Caterpillar"), I noticed something peculiar: when I lifted a page to turn it, he reached out his hand and turned it for me. The first time he did it, I figured it was just an accident. The next time, I thought it was a coincidence. But the third time, I realized that he might actually be doing it on purpose.
Sure enough, he did the same thing today when we read the book -- he helped me turn the pages.
Still not convinced that I wasn't overreacting by assuming that my child was exceptionally gifted, I waited until Brian came home and showed him. He watched as Jack helped me turn the pages and he agreed that he was doing it intentionally.
Our child is brilliant.
But just when I get a little too cocky about his potential for genius, Jack manages to put me in my place... He likes playing with his ring gym on our bed while I'm in the shower or putting clothes away; and he seems to obsess on a cute little turtle toy, ignoring the bird and the bee toys (there will be lots of time for the birds and the bees later, hee hee). I was watching him smile and bat at the turtle this afternoon while I was on the phone with my mom and she suggested that I try putting the turtle in a different spot on the ring gym to see how he reacted. I decided to give it a try, switching the bee and the turtle.
Jack screamed.
That's right: he screamed. He refused to look at the turtle in its new position and cried angrily until I switched it back to its original place.
I guess we have a little ways to go before he develops his understanding of object permanence.
No comments:
Post a Comment