I read an article today about a bus driver in the Detroit area who attempted to force a breastfeeding mother to cover up or get off her bus. The mother, thank goodness, knew her rights and insisted on continuing to feed her two-week-old infant, and the bus driver is now on leave pending an investigation.
But I'm appalled that such a conflict would even occur in modern times. Seriously? There is so much research about the benefits of breastfeeding and even laws protecting the rights of women to breastfeed in public without being labeled "obscene".
I'm frankly tempted to drive to Southfield, board a bus, and feed Ben for the rest of the afternoon, just to make a statement. I hope there are a lot of women who do exactly that.
I am proud that my body is capable of nourishing my baby, adjusting according to his needs. And I don't feel a need to cover up a natural, beautiful process. I don't make Jack eat in a bathroom or under a blanket, so I'm not going to hide Ben under one either. And I think it's important for people to see women breastfeeding in public. The more young women who are exposed to it as a natural, unremarkable process, the more likely they will breastfeed themselves. Which is exactly what this world needs.
No comments:
Post a Comment