Tuesday, May 27, 2008

I Love Maternity Leave

This morning I woke up at 7:15 and realized that on a normal morning, I would already be at school preparing for my first hour. But not for another six months!

Today was my official first day of maternity leave, and so far I've enjoyed it thoroughly. I ate breakfast in bed and read about breastfeeding, I spent some time designing possible baby announcements to send to our family and friends over email, I did a little cleaning and a little emailing for work, but generally, I just relaxed most of the day. It was heavenly.

I was surprised last night when Brian and I went for a walk, how much faster and farther I was able to walk because I hadn't been in school all day and my body wasn't aching as a result. I hadn't realized until I was out of the environment how much of a physical and emotional toll my work was taking on me.

Tomorrow, I'm planning to do a little more than I did today: clean the refrigerator and bathrooms, grade some leftover papers, and put fertilizer stakes around the trees outside. And Thursday is a full day with both a doctor and veterinarian appointment. But for now it's really nice to know that I have time to relax and catch up on my sleep and restore some energy before Jackson arrives.

So while I'm somewhat frustrated that I'm not showing any signs of going into labor yet, I'm also a little relieved that I'll have time to savor these last few days of the pregnancy while feeling relatively well-rested, or at least as well rested as someone who has to get up three times a night to go to the bathroom can be!

No comments: