Monday, May 19, 2008

Ready to Pop

Well, I never thought I would say it, but I feel ready to pop at this point. Jackson spent most of today pushing up on my left side (his favorite position) and I'm starting to feel like he's trying to come out through my rib cage instead of my pelvis. It's almost like he's moving in the wrong direction -- backing his way out of the womb.

I know that this discomfort and impatience is all very natural -- it's nature's way of preparing women to deal with the agony of labor, because we'll welcome anything that finally brings an end to the discomfort of late pregnancy. It all makes perfect sense on an intellectual level. And I know I should be savoring these last few days or weeks of what has been a beautiful pregnancy and the closest connection I'll ever have with my son for the rest of his life. But at this moment, I just can't wait for him to be born.

This weekend, as I practiced yoga, planted flower pots, mulched garden beds, and generally tried to be as active as possible, I kept thinking... "Okay, this'll be what puts me in labor... Surely squatting repeatedly will do it... Maybe if I keep bending over this way..." But nothing. The little guy is determined to stay in for the long haul.

So, at the end of this week, once I'm officially on maternity leave, I'm brining out the big guns. Long walks. Spicy food. And a few other tricks I've read/heard about but won't mention on this family blog. Hopefully, you'll be getting a phone call from Brian or I this weekend saying I'm in labor. If not, look for us to be driving down some bumpy dirt roads with a bag of take-out from Taco Bell. Whatever it takes to get this baby moving in the right direction.

No comments: