Friday, May 30, 2008

Due today!

This morning Brian and I woke up early, mainly thanks to the cats begging for food, and realized that the day we've been counting down toward was finally here. (I'm not sure whether we'll need to start counting up from it yet or not...)

We were rewarded for being early risers because we got to watch a deer fight outside our dining room window. When I initially fed the cats, there was a single deer eating outside. That spurred me to check our front flower beds to see if the deer had eaten any more of our hostas (we've had one victim already this year). When I came back in and looked out the dining room window again to see if the deer was still out there, I saw him and another male both on their hind legs, pawing at each other. We always joke that our house is like an episode of Wild Kingdom because of the snapping turtles and deer and rabbits, but this time it really was. The two bucks kept rearing on their hind legs and clashing together, until the smaller of the two ran across the street and into the woods. Fascinating stuff.

After that, we had breakfast in bed and read our books... very relaxing. And Brian headed off to work a little early to get as much done today as possible. I decided that I'd probably better take our evening walk in the morning today because we're expecting strong storms starting at 4:00, so I made a few laps of the neighborhood. It wasn't as productive as our normal walk because each time I walked past our house, I had to run inside and go to the bathroom -- Jackson's head is really far down at this point, making my bladder control almost non-existent. So I came inside and did some yoga instead. I picked Brian up for lunch around 1:30 and we went to Panera for soup and sandwiches (I'm having some allergy issues with sinuses and chest congestion, so the chicken noodle soup did me a lot of good).

And now I'm home again, waiting to see if Jackson will decide to arrive on time or if he needs a few more days to get really moving. I'm curious if the "strong storms" predicted by the Weather Channel will have any affect on him, since low barometric pressure can sometimes hurry things along. We'll just have to wait and see.

Fortunately, I'm feeling quite calm about the whole thing. I'd love it Jackson were born today, but if not, I'm planning to go to my yoga class tomorrow and then Brian and I will go to the Parade of Homes. And they're singing some of my favorite songs in church on Sunday morning, so if he doesn't arrive tomorrow, I'll be fine with that, too. I have a feeling, though, that he won't be sticking around past Sunday, so we'll be keeping everyone posted on any new developments.

No comments: